Short to medium distance rig
Also useful for scratching from the boat either uptiding or casting about with rolling lead.
Rig Components -
1 x Medium Swivel
3 x Bristle Booms
1 x Lead Link
Approx 1 metre length 60-80lb BS main line
3 x 450mm approx lengths 10-20lb BS snood
3 x 6 to 1/0 hooks
Prepare the booms by dabbing the end on a hot surface such as a soldering iron. This will form a blob which will be used to secure the boom to the trace line and hold the snood.
You can find suitable nylon bristles from street sweeping brushes or alternatively they can be ordered over the net from Holland and Belgium including here
The Rig Body
1. Tie on the swivel or oval split ring to the top of the trace body and lead link to the bottom.
2. Tie a four or five turn blood loop towards the top of the trace body but instead of threading the loop through the knot body insert one of the bristle booms as shown.
Moisten the knot and pull it tight round the boom.
3. Repeat for the bottom and mid-trace booms.
4. Tie the snoods to the free end of the boom using a whip knot as shown; the snood lengths should be around 300mm with a 1 metre trace body.
If you need to fish with longer snoods then it will be necessary to either lengthen the trace body, which may restrict casting. or reduce the number of snoods to two.
5. Beads and / or sequins can be added to the snoods as attractors before adding the hooks; boyant beads can be effective on the upper snoods.
6. The breaking strain of the snoods and size of the hooks will depend upon the target species.