Slow Retrieve Rig
The gilling rig can also be used with natural baits such as ragworm, sandeel or mackerel strip
Gilling Rig Components
1 x Trace Swivel
1 x Boom; French boom or tubing boom
Approx. 1 metre length 40-50lb BS main line
1 x 2 to 6 metre length 10 – 30lb BS snood; fluorocarbon or clear nylon
1 x Snood Swivel 1 x 1/0 to 5/0 hook
The Rig Body
- Tie on the swivel to the trace length and either tie onto the top of the French boom or thread on the tubing boom. If using the tubing boom a bead and link should be attached at this point to the line at the longer end of the boom.
- Cut the snood length in two at the mid-point and join together with the snood swivel. A two-down rig can be produced by replacing this swivel with a three way swivel.
- Tie the snood to the long end of the boom.
- Tie the hook to the other end of the snood and thread on the worm, or attach redgill or shad.
- Attach a rotten bottom length to the bottom of the french boom or the tubing boom link to carry the lead.
Click on image for larger version
There are numerous sources of terminal tackle both locally and on-line, here are a few suggestions –