How to Tie a Jika Rig
Jika rig is adapted from US bass rigs to be used for wrasse fishing in heavy ground.
Jika Rig Components
2 x round split rings
1 x weight, bomb shaped with large eye works best
The Rig Assembly
A set of split ring pliers will make the task simple.
1. Attach one of the split rings to the eye of the weight.
2. If using a plain hook, attach the second split ring to the hook.
3. Attach the hook via the split ring, or the solid ring if using a ringed hook, to the split ring on the weight.
4. Thread the plastic bait on to the hook, it is best fished weedless with the hook point sheilded in the lure body.
5. Tie the leader line to the ring on the hook.
The Jika rig is effective when used from the shore, small boat or kayak. Fished hard on the bottom with gentle lifts which impart a lively action or twitched back across the seabed after a cast, it is particularly effective for wrasse but will also take cod and pollack. It can also be used to impart a lively action to a shad.
It casts extremely well with the lure directly behind the weight.
When on the drop the lure is shielded from snags although given the type of ground where it is fished tackle losses can be high.
Takes tend to be savage with a good hook up rate.
Click on image for larger version
You can purchase ready made rigs but given the ground fished it is far more cost effective to make your own.