Joc Goudie Matchman’s Cup 2017
A special night for the club, with the Joc Goudie Matchman’s Cup up for grabs for the first time. 23 anglers graced the shores at Kelling, with the pegging left and right of the car park but not stretching as far as the wreck to make it as fair as possible for everyone.
A minutes silence was held in memory of Joc at the beginning of the match.
This match would be competitive from the off, we just needed the fish to play ball, and we were not disappointed.
Doubles and trebles of good sizes whiting and dabs, along with the odd pouting made for a very enjoyable match. With the numbers caught and points scored the results made it look as if we had fished a five hour match to 18cm rather than three and a half to size limits.
Down the lower numbers it looked like it would be a fiercely fought battle with Simon Bone on Peg 1, Leon Smith on peg 2, Dene Conway on peg 3 and Russell Taylor on peg 4 all capable of switching up a gear if the fish are there. This battle played out right up until the end and two or three fish separated them all.
Other good battles emerged along the match stretch with Adrian Bordianu on peg 13, Luke Lukeyboy Childerhouse peg 14 and Richard Hipperson peg 12,. The last few pegs were Henry Randell peg 20, Matt Lawes peg 21, Roger Cunnington peg 22 and the end peg for Gregory Kiddell.
To be fair everyone on the beach had their own battles with the adjacent members leading to a great match and as usual plenty of banter.
New members tonight were Keith and Jimmy Shaul (junior) who both managed to card and enjoyed themselves, welcome to the NAC lads.
Anyway onto the top rods of the night; in 3rd place was Dene Conway with 24 fish for 9lb 2oz, 2nd place went to Henry Randell with 25 fish for 9lb 61/3oz, but in top spot was Simon Bone with 26 fish for 9lb 142/3oz.
This clearly shows how one fish can make a difference and battling on to the very end can change your fortunes in any match.
Heaviest round fish on the night was shared between Russell Taylor and Ian Lambert both with cracking whiting of 38cm, and the heaviest flat was shared between Dene Conway, Dave Mathers and Keith Shaul, all having a 30cm dab each.
380 sizeable fish were carded with a total weight of 142lb 51/3oz
Next weeks match is at Mundesley hope to see you all there and maybe an elusive codling or late bass will show.
Full results below
- Simon Bone 30pts – 26 fish – 9lb 14 oz
- Henry Randell 29pts – 25 fish – 9lb 61/3oz
- Dene Conway 28pts – 24 fish – 9lb 2oz
- Leon Smith 27pts – 24 fish – 8lb 131/3oz
- Gregory Kiddell 26pts – 21 fish – 8lb 112/3oz
- Adrian Bordianu 25pts – 21 fish – 8lb 2oz
- Russell Taylor 24pts – 20 fish – 7lb 122/3oz
- Matt Lawes 23pts – 20 fish – 7lb 101/3oz
- Luke Lukeyboy Childerhouse 22pts – 19 fish – 7lb 7oz
- Paul Rickard 21pts – 19 fish – 7lb 61/3oz
- Adrian Charlie Needham 20pts – 18 fish – 6lb 10oz
- Ian Childerhouse 19pts – 19 fish – 6lb 81/3oz
- Richard Hipperson 18pts – 19 fish – 6lb 11/3oz
- Dave Mathers 17pts – 15 fish – 5lb 8oz
- Will Sprules 16pts – 13 fish – 5lb
- Barry Iseton 15pts – 15 fish – 4lb 142/3oz
- Roger Cunnington 14pts – 13 fish – 4lb 111/3oz
- Ian Lambert 13pts – 11 fish – 4lb 71/3oz
- Billy Rush 12pts – 10 fish – 4lb 5oz
- Neil Haynes 11pts – 8 fish – 3lb
- Jimmy Shauls 10pts – 8 fish – 2lb 82/3oz
- Keith Shauls 9pts – 6 fish – 2lb 4oz
- Ninian Wharton 8pts – 6 fish – 2lb 22/3oz