How to Tie a Portland Rig
Bass and General Purpose Rig
The Portland rig is an excellent trace for drifting with live sandeel, mackerel or fish strips. The free rotating swivel helps reduce tangles.
Portland Rig Components
3 x Trace Swivels
2 x Beads
Approx. 300 to 500 mm length 30-50lb BS clear main line
Line for rotten bottom
900 to 2700 mm 10-30lb BS clear nylon or fluorocarbon
1 x 2/0 – 5/0 hook; a treble can be substituted for live mackerel
The Rig Body
- Tie on the swivel to the bottom of the trace length and thread on a bead / swivel / bead
- Tie the final swivel to the top of the trace.
- Tie the snood to the running swivel and then the hook to the end.
- Tie on the rotten bottom.
- This rig is also effective when used with shads, redgills or plastic worms.
Click on image for larger version
There are numerous sources of terminal tackle both locally and on-line, here are a few suggestions –