The clipped down paternoster is a heavy duty rig for distance fishing for species such as cod, smoothies and spurs.
Clipped Down Paternoster Rig Components
1 x Oval Split Ring
3 x 3mm Beads
1 x Snood Swivel
1 x Crimp
1 x Breakaway Adjustable Crimp (allows the snood to be re-tensioned should the hook need to be replaced)
1 x Impact Shield; this can be replaced by your favourite bait clip or lead incorporating a clip.
1 x Lead Link Approx. 1 metre length 60-80lb BS main line
1 x 700mm length 40-50lb BS snood
1 x sequin for bait stop
1 length of Powergum 1 x 2/0 to 4/0 hook
The Rig Body
1. Tie on the lead link and thread on the rest of the components in this order;
Impact Shield / Bead / Crimp / Adjustable Crimp / Bead / Swivel / Bead
2. Tie on the oval split ring, ensuring the line is approx. 800mm long.
3. Fix the crimp above the bead and impact shield allowing for movement of the shield.
4. Tie the hook to the snood, thread on the sequin and tie the snood onto the swivel. Tie a Powergum stop knot above the sequin. This prevents the bait being blown up the snood when casting.
5. Locate the hook in the impact shield holding the sinker down firmly and tension the trace body from the oval split ring, position the adjustable crimp against the bead at the swivel up the main line until the snood line is tight and fix the crimp in place. The adjustable crimp can be fixed using pliers but it’s recommended that the Breakaway crimping tool be used.
6. The adjustable crimp can be replaced by another type of adjustable stop such a telephone wire crimp or Powergum stop knot.
7. The rig can be converted to a Rotten Bottom rig by adding a rotten bottom clip.
8. If fishing with a large bait then you may want to replace the single hook with a Pennel-Rig.
Click on image for larger version
There are numerous sources of terminal tackle both locally and on-line, here are a few suggestions –