How to Tie a Three Boom Paternoster Rig
The three boom paternoster rig spaces the snoods out along the trace and allows the angler to to fish with light snoods. It is particularly effective at slack water.
I like to use the Dutch style 25cm spiral match booms from UK Hooks from the boat and the 20cm version for shore fishing. The wire used is springy which helps with the movement of the baits.
Three Boom Paternoster Rig Components
1 x Trace Swivel
3 x Wire or Avis Booms
6 x Crimps
6 x Beads (if using wire booms)
Approx. 1500 to 2000 mm length 30-50lb BS main line
150 to 300 mm 10-30lb BS clear nylon or fluorocarbon
3 x 6 – 2/0 hooks
The Rig Body
- Attach the swivel to the top of the trace.
- Thread on a crimp / bead / boom / bead / crimp The beads can be omitted if using Avis booms
- Repeat for the other two booms.
- Attach the lead link to the bottom of the trace. Then locate the booms with suitable spacing and crimp in place.
- Tie sections of the snood line to the booms then attach the hooks together with any attractors. Beads for smaller fish and general fishing, blades etc. for cod.
Click on image for larger version
There are numerous sources of terminal tackle both locally and on-line, here are a few suggestions –