The three down rig is used in boat fishing to present three baits hard on the bottom. By varying the hook sizes and snood or trace breaking strains everything from flatfish to cod and rays can be targeted.
Three Down Rig Components
1 x Trace Swivel
1 x Bead
1 x Link
Approx. 500 mm 30-50lb BS line. This can be replaced by a French boom.
2 x Trace Swivel
2 x Snood Swivels
4 x Beads
4 x Crimps
1 x 6 – 2/0 hooks
Approx. 500 to 1500 mm length 30lb BS trace line
500 to 1000 mm 10-30lb BS clear nylon or fluorocarbon
2 x 6 – 5/0 hooks
The Rig Body
- Thread the line through the tubing boom and attach the swivel to the top. Thread on the bead and tie on the link to the other end.
- Tie a swivel to the top of the trace, thread on a crimp / bead / swivel / bead / crimp
- Repeat for the second dropper then tie the second swivel to the spare end of the trace. Locate the dropper swivels with suitable spacing and crimp in place.
- Tie sections of the snood line to the dropper and end swivels then attach the hooks together with any attractors. Beads and blades for smaller fish and general fishing, muppets etc for cod.
- Attach the trace swivel to the link at the bottom of the boom.
Click on image for larger version
There are numerous sources of terminal tackle both locally and on-line, here are a few suggestions –